Hey so Im pretty new to this site and am loving it, but forgive me if this topic has been covered. I havent found much conversation about social media groups or communities outside of this one here and some Facebook pages. Are there any more circles? I would love to get involved or help establish some Concertina groups on YouTube or Google accounts, Facebook etc. I know on Instagram there is a small gathering of concertinists that follow each other and share and comment. I think it would be great to get more of that. I dont know, maybe its a silly idea or maybe its already established. Thoughts? And if you have any accounts on anything please put them on this discussion so I can follow you guys and see what others are doing!

FWIW, I detest what is called "social networks" (ie Facebook, Twitter, Whatsapp and the like). Even though I understand that I miss out on a number of opportunities this way, I Just can't get myself to sacrifice what I believe in for what those immoral thieves (sorry for the biased words) offer.

I do visit YouTube frequently, though, and I have a soundcloud presence (the major reason for betraying myself, I guess, is that those platforms are mostly about listening to and seeing people making music instead of feeding the insatiable data miners with their food).

My major "rabbit holes" into the concertina subuniverse of Youtube are Lester Bailey's and MrJoreema's channels.

Other than that, I think this here place is really cool.

There's certainly nothing wrong with seeking to widen the circle of outlets for discussing and learning about our special interests. Your question makes perfect sense given that FB in particular abounds with "Groups" and pages where people share and discuss certain instruments---Irish button accordion, for example, is well-represented there. However, that seems to be less the case for concertina, for whatever reason.

I think part of the appeal for me, as well, is the opportunity for others who are not concertinists to see and hear our music as well as have opinions on it and be able to get feedback from other artists or instrumentalists, etc. I guess I feel like this is a hidden little diamond in the rough that is closed off all to itself. I definitely understand why people would not agree with me and I’m not trying to say we change things and abandon old ways or anything, just reach into fresh areas.

I think the concertina groups on Facebook are less active than the melodeon groups because melodeonists hunt in packs and concertinists don't. Either that, or melodeonists have more time because they don't need to practice as much...

Edited by Mikefule

I think the danger is that one could end up spending more time writing and posting about the concertina than actually playing it... Nice though it is, I find I have to ration myself as it is on here, or I don't get anything done...

Bye for now,

Adrian

I think the danger is that one could end up spending more time writing and posting about the concertina than actually playing it... Nice though it is, I find I have to ration myself as it is on here, or I don't get anything done...

Bye for now,

Adrian

Good point. However, I get my concertina out in the morning and place it on my desk where the computer screen sits. After I do something with the the computer I play for a few minutes. Apparently we learn best at the beginning and end of a session. So many short sessions means more beginnings and ends and is better than one long session.

Concertina is probably scarce on FB because there are far, far, far fewer concertina players than players of accordion. The reasons for THAT are fodder for lively discussion periodically engaged in here at cnet, but it is a fact, plain and simple. Remember, it's only a small percentage of accordion players who participate in FB accordion discussions about their instruments; apply the same to concertina, and there's a good bit of the explanation.

Nice though it is, I find I have to ration myself as it is on here, or I don't get anything done...

Aside from that (or standing beside it?) is that a proliferation of groups makes it both time consuming to look for information and difficult to simply "discover" it. Consider this scenario: "Sorry, dear, I can't come to dinner right now. There are still 27 more online 'concertina' groups that I haven't checked yet today."

There's already "too much" to keep up with just in these Forums, but at least there's at least a modicum of organization connecting it all.

Meanwhile, if you want to advertise or proselytize about concertinas, why not just post a link on your Facebook page or whatever to some content here? One doesn't have to become a "member" to view the content. And they're more likely to find some additional content to interest them here than they would in any particular "social media" group where the focus tends to be more on the medium than on the topic.

Aside from that (or standing beside it?) is that a proliferation of groups makes it both time consuming to look for information and difficult to simply "discover" it. Consider this scenario: "Sorry, dear, I can't come to dinner right now. There are still 27 more online 'concertina' groups that I haven't checked yet today."

If you're a member of a particular special interest group (or several of them) on Facebook, and you're checking the site regularly anyway (as over a billion people do), new posts simply appear in your news feed all mixed up with stuff posted by your friends and adverts - it's not like you have to manually check into each group. I'm not saying Facebook is perfect, but it is ridiculously popular. I'm in some groups on fairly niche topics that have thousands of members from around the world.

Meanwhile, if you want to advertise or proselytize about concertinas, why not just post a link on your Facebook page or whatever to some content here? One doesn't have to become a "member" to view the content. And they're more likely to find some additional content to interest them here than they would in any particular "social media" group where the focus tends to be more on the medium than on the topic.

More and more people do the majority of their online social interaction via smartphones, and this site isn't exactly mobile friendly.

I think part of the appeal for me, as well, is the opportunity for others who are not concertinists to see and hear our music as well as have opinions on it and be able to get feedback from other artists or instrumentalists, etc. I guess I feel like this is a hidden little diamond in the rough that is closed off all to itself. I definitely understand why people would not agree with me and I’m not trying to say we change things and abandon old ways or anything, just reach into fresh areas.

hola

i think ive just started following you on instagram :-) I too do a lot of playing in a vehicle :-)

Im probably going to get hung for this but..... I get the impression that in the UK at least many concertina players are, perhaps, of a generation that is not so familiar with the various social medias available.