Sign in to follow this  
Mike Pierceall

Lachenal Tenor-Treble Tune

This is an instrument I've been restoring on and off for the past couple of years. I installed a new set of bellows today. This is an impromptu video here:

Mike:

Nice playing as always.

Did you 'sweeten' the tone with a bit of audio post-processing or is that really how that New Model sounds?

Really nice round sound.

I also did not hear any Lachenal action clacking. What sort of action is this?

Don.

Edited by Don Taylor

enjoyable as ever Michael. the description said a 61 key tenor treble. I usually think of 56 buttons for a TT. What extra range do you have?

- John.

Mike:

Nice playing as always.

Did you 'sweeten' the tone with a bit of audio post-processing or is that really how that New Model sounds?

Really nice round sound.

I also did not hear any Lachenal action clacking. What sort of action is this?

Don.

Thank you, Don. The sound is as-recorded. No post processing. The action is the standard Lachenal hook action. This is the second set of bellows I've made for this instrument. The first set used a heavier-weight card stock that was not entirely to my liking. I used a thinner and harder card stock for this set, which gives the instrument a brighter tone.

enjoyable as ever Michael. the description said a 61 key tenor treble. I usually think of 56 buttons for a TT. What extra range do you have?

- John.

Thank you, John. The additional notes bring the instrument up to D# in the 7th position. The lowest note is, as typical for a TT, C below middle C. It is unusual in that most extended TT's I've seen are 64-key instruments.

Don, in my own experience the "hook" just might make it a bit slow, whereas the click-e-di-clack is indicative of worn bushings.

Best wishes - Wolf