Another Concertina Stolen

The little concertina of my friend Concertino, the clown, was stolen in Odense, Denmark just over 10 days ago. Here is the important part of his email to me:

Can you keep on eye on the internet? Last night I slept in Odense behind the station. I did that already many times. This time someone came stole my camera and my little black concertina, a Saltarelle. The ends of the instrument are covered with silver-glittering paper. Of course that can be easily removed. On the right hand side there is the last button in the right row missing. It was the air button. The black ends have some cracks in the surface. The concertina was in a black leather box which is used usually for cameras. I think that is the reason why the person took it beleaving there were objectives inside.

That was a little shock in the morning. I went to the police and made a report. If you find someone selling it via ebay or another platform you can contact directly the police in Odense phone 6614 1448 the journal no. for this case is 2300-75607-00501-17. Could you keep on eye on the Danish internet, please? I know the chance is not big to find my tina, but you never know. Here a little video that TV made on the clown festival 2017 in Svendborg. There you see my little one and can listen to it the last time in my hands:

https://www.tv2fyn.dk/fyn-live/fyn-live-klovnefestival-del-1?autoplay=1#player

He first appears in the video at 4:55. (He can be heard through 7:05, though for most of that time he is either not visible or deep in the background.) His concertina isn't the highest-priced Wheatstone or Dipper, but it's a significant part of his repertoire as a clown (he can also do much more sophisticated music than what's in this video) and quite important to a man who makes his living as a wandering street performer.

While I worry that the thief may have just tossed the instrument in the trash, I'm putting the word out to all and sundry, just in case it might turn up. And of course I'm keeping my eye on the various Scandinavian classified-ad web sites. Unfortunately, Odense on the island of Fyn (Funen) is too far away for me to make a project of combing the flea markets there.

This might sound bizarre, but what if we all put in some money to help this chap get back to his work. I'm sure we could at least get enough together for a second hand Hohner or Stagi if enough of us get together...

I could put in $20usd

For many of us our concertinas are pride and joy, but from the description above it doesn't sound like he is rolling in cash or well insured and it would be great to help.

This might sound bizarre, but what if we all put in some money to help this chap get back to his work.

Not bizarre, at all. Something I've already considered, myself.

But for what it's worth, this is not preventing him from working. He has many talents and "acts" and his total performance is a constant "playing the crowd" improvisation. The (temporary, we hope) lack of a concertina restricts some of his routines, but it certainly doesn't stop him.

I'm sure we could at least get enough together for a second hand Hohner or Stagi if enough of us get together...

Or a Saltarelle like the one he had, as I think he chose it both because of the size and because its appearance fits with the rest of his chosen style.

For many of us our concertinas are pride and joy, but from the description above it doesn't sound like he is rolling in cash or well insured and it would be great to help.

Rolling in cash he isn't, though he's surviving better than some of us, if only because he doesn't "need" some of the things that we pay dearly for. I'll be in touch with him and get back to you, Will, about your idea/offer, but it may be a while, because he doesn't have a computer or phone of his own. (When he visits me, he uses my computer to check his email.)