'round Midnight By Thelonius Monk

Randy Stein

Yes very nice Randy.

This notion of jazz on the concertina is alluring. I've also really enjoyed your/others contributions to the All of Me TOTM thread this month.

Randy...and Stefan are masters of this allurement and the english is well suited to it. But not only jazz, there's so much modern or reasonably modern music with it's interesting complexities that is such fun to play on the concer. Think film music, country, pop (some Beatles material is nice), reggae.....try some Bob Marley.

So I played around with this and did an arrangement as a challange to myself. Performed it at NESI this year and just recorded it on soundcloud.

Its a bit different for the EC but I love playing it. never play it the same way twice.

https://soundcloud.com/user827948939/round-midnight-by-thelonius

rss

Wow. This is prodigiously good. Absolutely incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

Oh man, am I glad to find this posted! I was the "day student" at NESI--hubbie picked me up at night--we camped with dogs off site. All I could do was rave about this rendition. Now I'll have something for SO to hear....thanks for posting this Randy!

• 1 month later...

Hi Randy

It's great to hear you playing this number. It's been one of my favourites for years although I've only stated playing it recently. I'm hoping this posting works as it's the first one I've attempted. Here is a link to the "practice videos" on Dropbox. There's a Bach thing in here too. I put all the practice stuff in here so I can hear all the mistakes and bits that need sorting! I'll probably post these two pieces on Youtube when they're ready but thought you might like to hear my version of Round Midnight - I don't think there're too many of us playing it on the concertina! Here is the link - hope it works...... https://www.dropbox.com/sh/t7iju5cdt3z1g3z/AAAv68Yb9tkPAi4vDtqDocd1a?dl=0

All the best

Mart

Welcome Mart (oops, sounds like a retail chain, sorry),

Anyway, welcome to C-net. Really enjoyed this peice, lovely take, lovely touch. Didn't pick up the "bits that need sorting" on first listen.

Just a critique about the video. I think a video is for watching as well as listening, yours didn't really grab me. Couldn't see your face to start with. Who is this mystery guy? I guess it's sort of an arty scene but I think your rendition could hold its own just as audio, on soundcloud for example, without the video.

But that's just my opinion. Please post more, whether video or audio.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that and glad you liked the music.

I totally agree with you about the video - and of course the sound quality isn't good either. The videos in this folder are shot on an ipad and really are just practice videos which we use for our own critique purposes. I posted the link so Randy - and all - could hear a different version of Round Midnight.

I guess I'll post a proper link to the finished things once they're up on You tube - get Christmas out the way first!!

have a good one

Mart

forgot - where are you in Australia? I lived there in the 1990's in Pambula Beach near Merimbula - great spot!

Hi Steve,

where are you in Australia? I lived there in the 1990's in Pambula Beach near Merimbula - great spot!

Well,well. Did you ever get out to the Robbie Burns, at Wyndham? That's where I am, at Wyndham not the pub (well sometimes). Just up the road from Pambula Beach. Truly great spot, this area, close enough to heaven for me.

Hi Steve

That is just so amazing -the whole of Australia and you're just up the road! Yes I frequented the Wyndham pub for several of the infamous lock-ins of the early 90's - I'm guessing they still happen! Also the Top Pub at Pambula. I taught at Eden High School so knew just so many people - great times.

I should be over next year sometime

cheers

Mart

Hey Mart,

have you the BWV number for that Bach Bourree ? or some other point of reference for it. I like to try that one !

Thanks for posting these they are really enjoyable.

Geoff

PS: (edited after a good night's sleep and thoughts of "where did I hear that piece") .... I found it as the two Bourrees from Bach's Cello suite in C major BWV 1009..... but knowing Bach's habit of re-using tunes, or perhaps other musicians transcribing the pieces for different instruments, these may turn up somewhere else ?

Edited by Geoff Wooff

Hi Geoff

Really glad you like the offerings

Yes, you're correct - cello suite n03 in C major. This is a version transcribed for violin and piano but it seems to work well with the bouzouki, which has almost a harpsichord quality

It's a great piece to play. As I said to Steve earlier, these are really practice videos for "musical adjustment!!" so the quality is not good

cheers

Mart

Hi Geoff

Really glad you like the offerings

Yes, you're correct - cello suite n03 in C major. This is a version transcribed for violin and piano but it seems to work well with the bouzouki, which has almost a harpsichord quality

It's a great piece to play. As I said to Steve earlier, these are really practice videos for "musical adjustment!!" so the quality is not good

cheers

Mart

Isn't the internet wonderfull..... all this information and contact. I've just downloaded and printed the version for Violin, for free too...ok this will give me a nice project for the winter.....

Thanks Mart.

Geoff.

Hi Geoff

You'll have a lot of fun with this I'm sure. It works well as a solo piece of course but I really like playing it with Martin Street, the guy in the practice video - classical guitarist playing, bouzouki. I have tried it with the piano part - I think by Frederick Hermann, who did the violin transcription I've got - but didn't like the two together for some reason, cant remember why.

Do let me know what you make of it - no dodgy bits to tackle except the second section starting on the top f sharp. I tried several fingerings for this bit - arrghhh!

cheers

Mart