• 1 month later...
  • Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'd never heard of Delicq until now. What nice tunes! I found Nadiejda (

) excellent. I located some dots here ( https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwr-ZWeDeHFoLWtLUEtJS2RkWEE/edit ) and will make this my next tune.

Another lovely tune. Thanks for the dots.

I think I posted this a while back: Squeezers doing Nadiejda at a rehearsal. 2 row D/G melodeon, Anglo concertina and English concertina.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Might I suggest "And the band played Waltzing Matilda" as April 25th is the centenary of the start of The Gallipoli disaster. Question of which key to play it in as I have heard it in G, D, and I think The Pogues sang it in A. Suggestions welcome.

Oh, and singing along is optional.

Might I suggest "And the band played Waltzing Matilda" as April 25th is the centenary of the start of The Gallipoli disaster. Question of which key to play it in as I have heard it in G, D, and I think The Pogues sang it in A. Suggestions welcome.

Interesting idea; I love the original song.

Since this is one of the truly great anti-war songs (which are quite rare) IMO due to its personal and demonstrative approach (alongside another Eric Bogle song, Noman's Land), I used to sing it a lot accompanying myself with the guitar, and have already been planning to resume that with the EC in awhile.

I just reckon the song needs voice and lyrics to find adequate expression, which might make it unfitting for TOTM. I would suggest starting a thread including basic historical information. I'll love to contribute, and promise I'll do...

Best wishes - Wolf

Since this is one of the truly great anti-war songs (which are quite rare) IMO due to its personal and demonstrative approach (alongside another Eric Bogle song, Noman's Land), I used to sing it a lot accompanying myself with the guitar, and have already been planning to resume that with the EC in awhile.

I just reckon the song needs voice and lyrics to find adequate expression, which might make it unfitting for TOTM. I would suggest starting a thread including basic historical information. I'll love to contribute, and promise I'll do...

Best wishes - Wolf

GOod points. No Man's Land is an amazing song. Perhaps it's best not to use topical songs for TOTM, since their value is primarily in the lyrics, and many TOTM participants do not sing.

Perhaps it's best not to use topical songs for TOTM, since their value is primarily in the lyrics, and many TOTM participants do not sing.

Some song tunes are also great even without the words. This is probably particularly true of tunes that have been used for more than one otherwise "unrelated" song.

But there's another potential problem with the tune (and words) to "And the band played Waltzing Matilda": copyright.