Tune Of The Month For April: Waltz From Boda

Jim Besser

Well, we have a clear winner: the April Tune of the Month will be the Waltz from Boda.

This is what The Waltz Book - my go-to resource for great waltzes - has to day about the tune:

Boda is a town in the Dalarna region of Western Sweden - and this is waltz from Boda, rather than THE Boda Waltz. Frequently these tunes don't have widely recognized names in Sweden and the authorship is often obscure. In this question it's open to question how much adaptation occurs before something becomes a NEW tune. Cammy Kaynor brought this tune back here in 1980.

Here's my rendition on a G/D 30 button:

It's a little harder to play in Em on a C/G, at least if you want good chording; I'll post another version in that configuration in the next few days.

But I've also heard it played in Am, so I've included the ABCs for that key, as well; that's a piece of cake on the C/G. Of course, if you play English or duet, this diatonic silliness is just irrelevant to you.

(If you aren't familiar with ABC, just go to the concertina.net convert-a-matic” and paste the ABC text for a single tune into the box. Then hit “PDF” to get a high quality, printable version of the tune).

As usual, notation is just for rough guidance; feel free to make this tune your own in any way you choose.

A PDF is attached.

If you prefer ABCs, here they are.

In Em:

X: 1

T: Waltz from Boda

R: waltz

M: 3/4

L: 1/8

K: Em

B3 c BA|B3 c BA|B4 e2|B3 def|

g4 g2|f4 e2|f3 gf2|B6|

e4 e2|d3 c Bc|B4 A2|G3 FEF|

G3 AG2|F3 GF2|E6|E6:|

e4 e2|g3 f e2|d6|B6|

A3 B c2|c3 B A2|B4 c2|d6|

e4 e2|g3 f e2|d6|B6|

A3 B c2|D2 E2 F2|G3 A GF|G6:|

In Am:

K:Am

E3 F ED|E3 F ED|E4 A2|E3 GAB|

c4 c2|B4 A2|B3 cB2|E6|

A4 A2|G3 F EF|E4 D2|C3 B,A,B,|

C3 DC2|B,3 CB,2|A,6|A,6:|

A4 A2|c3 B A2|G6|E6|

D3 E F2|F3 E D2|E4 F2|G6|

A4 A2|c3 B A2|G6|E6|

D3 E F2|G,2 A,2 B,2|C3 D CB,|C6:|

waltz from Boda.pdf

Edited by Jim Besser

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dancing to this and other waltzes, as well as to terrific Boda polskas, played by Bodaspelmanslag in the village halls around Boda is an awesome experience. Looking forward to the summer when I'll next have the opportunity.....

Edited by SteveS

Vals från Boda

This tune was learnt from a record by Laggars Anders, Röjås Jonas and Pål Olle, from Boda near Rättvik in Dalarna, Sweden. All three of these players have since passed away. The waltz was taken by them from the playing of Soling Anders.

Fiddle Music From Northern Lands, Charlie Saksena 2008.

Lovely tune, looking forward to hearing what others do with it, and will put mine up in a few days once I'm reasonably happy with my playing of it.

Edited by Steve Mansfield

a rough take of the Waltz from Boda on a C/G, played in Em. I rarely play in Em on the C/G, preferring the G/D, so I could really use some tips on good chording and harmonies in this configuration.

Played on a 32 key Lachenal/Dipper/Groff, with brand new bellows by Greg J!

Well, we have a clear winner: the April Tune of the Month will be the Waltz from Boda.

This is what The Waltz Book - my go-to resource for great waltzes - has to day about the tune:

Boda is a town in the Dalarna region of Western Sweden - and this is waltz from Boda, rather than THE Boda Waltz. Frequently these tunes don't have widely recognized names in Sweden and the authorship is often obscure. In this question it's open to question how much adaptation occurs before something becomes a NEW tune. Cammy Kaynor brought this tune back here in 1980.

Here's my rendition on a G/D 30 button:

It's a little harder to play in Em on a C/G, at least if you want good chording; I'll post another version in that configuration in the next few days.

But I've also heard it played in Am, so I've included the ABCs for that key, as well; that's a piece of cake on the C/G. Of course, if you play English or duet, this diatonic silliness is just irrelevant to you.

(If you aren't familiar with ABC, just go to the concertina.net convert-a-matic” and paste the ABC text for a single tune into the box. Then hit “PDF” to get a high quality, printable version of the tune).

As usual, notation is just for rough guidance; feel free to make this tune your own in any way you choose.

A PDF is attached.

If you prefer ABCs, here they are.

In Em:

K: Em

B3 c BA|B3 c BA|B4 e2|B3 def|

g4 g2|f4 e2|f3 gf2|B6|

e4 e2|d3 c Bc|B4 A2|G3 FEF|

G3 AG2|F3 GF2|E6|E6:|

e4 e2|g3 f e2|d6|B6|

A3 B c2|c3 B A2|B4 c2|d6|

e4 e2|g3 f e2|d6|B6|

A3 B c2|D2 E2 F2|G3 A GF|G6:|

In Am:

c4 c2|B4 A2|B3 cB2|E6|

A4 A2|c3 B A2|G6|E6|

A4 A2|c3 B A2|G6|E6|

I tried posting both of those into the Convert-o-Matic Jim, and all that they came up with was the title ... no notes, midi,pdf etc :-(

I tried posting both of those into the Convert-o-Matic Jim, and all that they came up with was the title ... no notes, midi,pdf etc :-(

Working fine for me.

Be sure you paste only one tune at a time.

Be sure you get it all - ie starting with the X:1, down to - in this case - the |C6:|

IT's also possible your browser does something wonky when copied. ABC needs to be plain text. To be sure, you can copy from my initial message, paste into a plain text editor (Notepad, on a PC), recopy and paste into the convert-o-matic.

c4 c2|B4 A2|B3 cB2|E6|

A4 A2|c3 B A2|G6|E6|

A4 A2|c3 B A2|G6|E6|

That's very beautifully played, Jim. I had to laugh a little that your waltz book refers to Boda as a "town". It's rather a tiny village or area outside Rättvik. Their gammelgård (how to translate that??) is amazing. Good for you Steve that you have the opportunity to go there. I don't dance anymore so we don't go anymore but it's a beautiful place.

However, I'll see if I can manage to do something with this tune. At least it doesn't have to be played fast.

Jim - is that the Waltz Book by Bill Matthiesen?

Yes.

Are the later volumes as great as the first?

They are all well-regarded. Perhaps comparing them like that would be in the mind of the beholder, and everybody might have a different answer.

In any case, this tune is in the first book.

Bill M. and his wife are friends of mine, and I have spent many hours playing tunes with them, but I have to say that I disagree with Bill's choice of chords for this tune as published in The Waltz Book. To me, measures 9, 10, and 11 demand C - D - G (in E minor) and remind me of the line "now it looks as though they're here to stay" in the Beatles song, "Yesterday."

I first learned the tune from Dave Kaynor at Ashokan in 1983 (I'm pretty sure Bill and Liz were there, too), and I still have the session on tape (remember tape?). You can hear Dave calling out the chords as he's playing.

I know: Shut up and play.

Perhaps this weekend.

Jim - is that the Waltz Book by Bill Matthiesen? Are the later volumes as great as the first?

Yes, they're all good. I think I'm on my second copy of most of the volumes; keep wearing them out or losing them. They get a lot of use!

For those who aren't familiar with the Waltz Book series, here's the site: http://www.bfv.com/waltz/

Perhaps this weekend.

Perhaps you might consider holding off a little longer David. Your playing last month was so good I feel it was a little intimidating trying to "Follow That!"

There has been silence for a while this month and perhaps there are quite a few of us working hard on our versions. -_-

Perhaps this weekend.

Perhaps you might consider holding off a little longer David. Your playing last month was so good I feel it was a little intimidating trying to "Follow That!"

There has been silence for a while this month and perhaps there are quite a few of us working hard on our versions. -_-

I hope so. And nobody should feel intimidated; this is all about learning from each other, improving our skills, getting new ideas.

Absolutely. I've been doing a song a day for a while now, and although many aren't as polished as I'd like, it's awesome seeing the improvement since I started. Likewise, it's been inspirational to see other folks improve as well.