Frank Edgley's Flee Like A Bird

I'm really enjoying Frank Edgley's Flee Like a Bird cd and just thought that I would recommend it as very pleasant listening with varied and tasteful arrangements. I've been playing concertina for a couple of years now and have been chasing dance music so much that I haven't really listened enough to different kinds of tunes. Frank's selection includes hornpipes, polkas, marches, waltzes, and airs, as well as jigs and reels. I especially like how he has chosen to accompany these pieces. My dance playing causes me to prefer backing rhythm and the guitars and piano do a splendid job of filling in the rhythm without getting in the way-- very tasteful. A few of the cuts have fiddle and there is also some mandolin. These are all tight and make for a single blended voice. In addition to the playing, I think the sound of his concertinas are also a factor in making this a pleasant album to listen to. Strong and sweet, but not strident. For example, I had heard a few other renditions of the tune Nancy played before and it's a tune I have worked on myself, but Frank's playing really gives it a wonderful feel and tone. Some of the hornpipes he plays are also quite nice in that they have interesting melodies with some nice subtle accidentals. The last tune on the album is a beautiful air that he wrote. This also shows his sense for melody. Perhaps my least favorite piece on the whole album is a planxty (Loftus Jones by O'Carolan) and march medley which is a very powerful effort, but my poor simple mind doesn't wrap around the more complex melody. All in all, highly recommended!

The best compliment that could be had for this album came from my wife, when she asked me if she could have it for her iTunes. If you knew my wife, you would know that was a huge compliment! :-)

(BTW, this is my first post to these forums. I think I may have fallen a little deeper down the hole...)

Woody