Clover Or Engley's Sessions Box

gbsshs

Hello,

I want to make to the jump from beginner concertina to mid-range concertina.

I'm interested in either the "Clover" by Concertina Connection or a Engley's "Sessions Box" that sells for a few hundred dollars more. Does anyone have any feedback on the pros or cons to these two concertinas? Are they about the same in quality? Is one far superior to the other?

At the moment I'm leaning towards the Clover because it would cost a little less. Also, I could trade in my Rochelle as an upgrade.

I would love to hear from the concertina world about what you think. Thanks.

Graham

Edited by gbsshs

G'day,

at the moment I have both a Clover and an Edgeley, although the Edgeley is a professional model.

Both are great instruments although I prefer the Edgely because of the bigger, flat top buttons. The Edgeley also has a seven fold bellows which are nice and supple. But as I said on another post I haven't really 'played in' the Clover and I am sure the bellows would loosen up up with more play time.

As far a tone and build go, both are excellent. The reed response is very good on both concertinas and the action is about the same on both. As I said I prefer the larger flat top buttons on the Edgeley over the smaller diameter domed metal buttons on the Clover, but that is just personal preference.

The Clover has wooden ends and the Edgely has metal ends so there is a slight difference in tone. I bought the Clover new and the Edgeley used.

I currently have the Clover for sale (see the buy and sell forum) and have some interest from a member in Belfast who has first dibs at it.

Having bought a Wakker Hayden Duet (which I love), I may sell the Edgely as well. Let me know if you are interested.

By the way the Clover is a Wheatstone layout and the Edgely is Jeffries layout.

Cheers,

Dave

Hello Dave,

Sorry for the misspelling of Edgeley. It was late at night and my brain and fingers don't work well at that hour.

Anyway, thanks for the info on the two concertinas. It looks like I can't go wrong with either one of them.

How much are you asking for the Edgeley? I'm assuming that the Clover will probably be sold to the lady in Belfast. If not, I would be interested in the Clover. Otherwise, I might be interested in the Edgeley, if the price is still in my budget range. Let me know.

I see you are coming to Ireland in March. You mentioned that you would be heading to the western part of Ireland after Dublin. It there a chance that you could be near Cork? Thanks.

Graham