WHITBY FOLK WEEK 2012

My plan is to be in Whitby for Sunday (assuming work-related issues don't keep me away).

So where and when are things happening on Sunday?

Black Horse for a singaround (I guess) and some good beer - and Station Inn for good beer and Morris.

Steve

Anlej has a programme....(wearing both her Anglo and melodeon hats)

She says there is an Englishy toons session at the Middle Earth (just up from Black Horse going away from the harbour from 1700 it seems - and not too difficult to park tho there may be sunday charges right in from (not wise to trust the Scarborough lot who control the parking)

She has also mentioned new First in Last Out over on melnet which seems to have a new landlord keen to have players so you could check there or give em a ring.

http://firstinlastoutpub.co.uk/

:)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My plan is to be in Whitby for Sunday (assuming work-related issues don't keep me away).

So where and when are things happening on Sunday?

Black Horse for a singaround (I guess) and some good beer - and Station Inn for good beer and Morris.

Steve

Anlej has a programme....(wearing both her Anglo and melodeon hats)

She says there is an Englishy toons session at the Middle Earth (just up from Black Horse going away from the harbour from 1700 it seems - and not too difficult to park tho there may be sunday charges right in from (not wise to trust the Scarborough lot who control the parking)

She has also mentioned new First in Last Out over on melnet which seems to have a new landlord keen to have players so you could check there or give em a ring.

http://firstinlastoutpub.co.uk/

Thanks.

I plan to park somewhere near my usual spot - which is miles from anywhere - but it's free ;)

Hope to see some of you on Sunday.

Steve

Edited by SteveS

Is Iris doing another Australian tunes workshop this year?

Last year's was great.

Apparently not. She's doing a workshop for duet concertinas on the Monday morning at 10am in the Conservative Club; and a session on the Friday at the Dolphin at 1.00 ( tunes for concertinas (other instruments welcome)). Otherwise it's all concerts.

I plan to park somewhere near my usual spot - which is miles from anywhere - but it's free ;)

Hope to see some of you on Sunday.

Steve

remember it's also Whitby Regatta and the Red Arrows are due to give a display at 12noon on Sunday so town will be stuffed to the gills and any local with a car tries to leave it parked and walks instead smile.gif

I plan to park

Steve

Anlej....

town will be stuffed to the gills

smile.gif

Which reminds me:

GERMANY

Shcubert's Die Forelle (The Trout)of cads and unwary maidens:

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=youtube+die+forelle

Unofficial SWISS GERMAN national anthem

Whitby2012 German Appenzeller Landsgemeindelied alles lebem stroemt aus Dir -- all life comes from you

FRANCE

Whitby2012LaMerCharlesTrenet lyrics

http://www.paroles2chansons.com/paroles-charles-trenet/paroles-la-mer.html

BASQUE/GREEK

Whitby2012 BASQUE with a Greek twist La Paloma lyrics score ear inkeyoC

Nana Moskouri

Allegedly Written around 1860 - after a visit to Cuba - by Spanish Basque composer Sebastian Yradier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okG3-zf6T_0

Whitby2012 Ireland the last rose of summer scorelyrics midi youtube in

keyofC.doc

http://www.8notes.com/scores/5282.asp

Edited by Kautilya

quick update courtesy of a post by Tufty over on Melnet .....

in the event of the new management at the Resolution not wanting the 'fringe Euro session' the 1st choice fall back will be the Elsinore smile.gif

Another German one (Bavarian, from the Upper Palatinate):

Two files attached - a two-part one in G and D that I found on the web (presumably for B flat instruments), and a melody version of mine in C and G.

I don't know who Leinsiedl/Loamsiedl was.

Zwiefacher tunes like this are the ultimate in bodhran player repellent.

post-3250-0-94378000-1345209454_thumb.gif

Arschloch-CG.pdf

Edited by Jack Campin

quick update courtesy of a post by Tufty over on Melnet .....

in the event of the new management at the Resolution not wanting the 'fringe Euro session' the 1st choice fall back will be the Elsinore smile.gif

Oh gosh....

There won't be enough room in the Elsinore if we get the same numbers as last year, nor space for the range of instruments including dulcimers nor room for the dancers who came along... We cerainly cannot fit at same time as the melnetters - it was so cramped last year some were playing bivouacked on the North Wall.

The Resolution will lose a number of meal sales -- some people also ate in the restaurant before and after the Eurosessions, up the few steps from where we played and danced. Has the young, very (innovative seafood)chef left too???

Does Middle Earth have programme workshops in the afternoons? - it was slack until about 1700 on a number of days after the middayish workshops. It has the room and the welcome.

:ph34r: <_< :ph34r: <_<

Does the Conservative Club have anything downstairs after the lunchtime session? Or would we have to be defringed first?

I've never been in the FILO, is it too small?

I won't have internet access after tonight, my mobile is 07800 739 557.

Edited by Jack Campin

Oh gosh....

There won't be enough room in the Elsinore if we get the same numbers as last year, nor space for the range of instruments including dulcimers nor room for the dancers who came along..

nothing definite yet, Tufty's post was just a 'heads up' about a possible venue change, details in post no.183 at the Melnet Whitby thread smile.gif

Oh gosh....

There won't be enough room in the Elsinore if we get the same numbers as last year, nor space for the range of instruments including dulcimers nor room for the dancers who came along..

nothing definite yet, Tufty's post was just a 'heads up' about a possible venue change, details in post no.183 at the Melnet Whitby thread smile.gif

Should one ring - or are some delicate negotiations going on in the backkground?

01947 602085

Hello, is that the Resolution please?

Could you tell us if the main bar is open during the afternoon please?

We wanted to come and listen to the musicians playing who were there last year each day during the Folk week - it was one of the nicest happenings of the whole festival and the main bar with the deck restaurant was so comfortable.

If we want to eat while listening to the music, do you do your Resolution Burgers with the big fat chips all day?

If we want to eat beforehand, what time does the lunch time sitting finish please? Or if we want tea (proper tea) or an early fish and chips supper after the music what time do you start serving please? Is the steak offer on every day/ night during Folk Week.

Thanks a lot...

Edited by Kautilya

:( post festival First inn Last Out update ...........

after an excellent week with the pub packed with folkies the landlords did a flit on Sunday

smiley-scared008.gif smiley-scared008.gif

the FILO folk are temporarily homeless ... again .... will post when we've got a new session venue

Edited by anlej

:( post festival First inn Last Out update ...........

after an excellent week with the pub packed with folkies the landlords did a flit on Sunday

smiley-scared008.gif smiley-scared008.gif

the FILO folk are temporarily homeless ... again .... will post when we've got a new session venue

Never actually made it to FILO - at first thought it was FILEY, but maybe that is where they have gone to recuperate from folk week!

Not processed sounnd and a some video yet... still recovering....

Tks for all the "early warning" (hint hint knock knock :ph34r: as the Russians would say) useful information pre and during the week! :)

in what must be one of the swiftest resurrections of a Folk session ..... the FILO Folk are back in the First Inn grin.gif ......... we're harder to kill off than vampires smileys-vampire-463647.gif aemo_squeezeyellow2.gif

the new, hopefully permanent, landlord made enquiries yesterday morning about getting the session running again and by lunchtime he'd met one of the organisers, the word had gone out and at 8pm there were instrument cases stacked against the walls with playing/singing starting aemo_squeezeyellow2.gif grin.gif aemo_squeezeyellow3.gif