McTeague graphic

What is it about creative activities that makes people think that the creators shouldn't be paid for their efforts? If you build a house, or make a car, or make a concertina for that matter, you'd expect to be paid, and if you want to own one you expect to have to pay for it (or expect to end up in jail). But you can't copy a house or a car or a concertina. Just because the product is intangible, does that mean the person who devotes time, energy and skill into creating it should do it for love? Artists have to eat too.

Some people manage to turn out some pretty good work in their spare time. But nearly all the things of great and lasting artistic value have been created by people who could devote their time and energy to it 100% without having to spend most of it in other activities simply to pay the bills.

Ransom, what gives you the right to take other people's work for yourself? You say you "respect rights", but everything in your post displays nothing but contempt for the rights of others.

What with challenges to fight and burn and accusations of contempt, I am publicly boycotting this topic. I will no longer read such angry writing. Life is too short. Goodbye.

Well said, Jody, I think I'll be skipping this topic from now on too.

If you look closely, the drawing is not of a concertina, but rather a melodeon... so all bets are off.

OOPS! I didn't notice it until you mentioned it. At least they got it right in the movie, and it's an anglo

http://www.concertina.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=8422&view=findpost&p=88678

Thanks

Leo :rolleyes:

Yes, but will we get into some sort of print infringement problem--or that would only be if we tried to make a business out of it?? For private use it is OK ??

Let's go back to the original question. A print for the wall or a t-shirt would fall under fair use, go ahead. It would be the same as translating something of mine to share with your buddy in Russia. Cool.

Alan

Yes, but will we get into some sort of print infringement problem--or that would only be if we tried to make a business out of it?? For private use it is OK ??

Let's go back to the original question. A print for the wall or a t-shirt would fall under fair use, go ahead. It would be the same as translating something of mine to share with your buddy in Russia. Cool.

Alan

yes - let's keep it cool and right!

Would still love to know what date and publisher of your edition Shelly please?

Perhaps it is rare as so far cannot find that cover anywhere. Further if it is out of copyright you could give us all free t-shirts out of the profits you make by graphic-ing in a different instrument for each market - tina, (melodeon already there)accordion, drum......

This edition below sounds really valuable: look at the edition date and the last three words!

Hudson City Books

via

United States Softcover, ISBN 0192823566

Publisher: Oxford University Press, USA (1995), 1995

Inscribed by Loving on title page. Underling in introduction, no other markings. ; Oxford World's Classics; 388 pages; Signed by Author.

McTeague A Story of San Francisco

Book is written in English

Book is signed

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ...........!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.bookfinder.com/search/?ac=sl&st=sl&ref=bf_s2_a1_t1_1&qi=j96pdN5qYAiLutU0HjrcvcbR8JI_2649611128_1:3:192&bq=author%3Dfrank%253B%2520%28jerome%2520loving%2520norris%26title%3Dmcteague

btw, fair use and fair dealing differ between US and UK = just to complicate matters!

This is why Google has been warned off by Judge Denny Chin for copying complete in-copyright books without permission from the authors and often putting far more than a snippet of some of those books on googlebooks site..... it wants to get a global cut of book sales through its search engine and would surely get at least click-through revenues from booksellers it lists on its bookpages..........

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/23/google-books-settlement-ruling

It would be interesting to know if Google asked permission from Mike/publisher to put the cover of his Book (Absolute Beginners' Concertina) on Google Books. It may help his sales but I see one can cut and paste the cover image.

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=z3vnAAAACAAJ&dq=concertina+for+beginners&hl=en&sa=X&ei=05leT56rC4rN0QXchP2nBw&redir_esc=y

And you do not need Google to find it - which they say is their aim to bring the world to illumination through googlebooks... just use non-tracking, non-profiling, non-data id stealing duckduckgo.com and search for generic: concertina for beginners and you get:CNET of course, Hurrah ! The home of free and independent musical free-reading thort and comradeship! and Bramich of course.

http://duckduckgo.com/?q=concertina+for+beginners

Note the 'orphan works' para in this one ( I think Chin may have changed that review April date to July....)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/jacketcopy/2011/03/rejected-google-ebooks-what-happened-whats-next.html

and so to bed :ph34r:

Edited by Kautilya

What with challenges to fight and burn and accusations of contempt, I am publicly boycotting this topic. I will no longer read such angry writing. Life is too short. Goodbye.

Well said, Jody, I think I'll be skipping this topic from now on too.

Gentlemen, consider me chastised. =) Much of the fire here was mine, and I need to find a calmer tone with which to discuss these issues.

The rest of my outstanding business from this thread will be conducted over private messages.

One final comment and then I'm out of here too. Life is too short to constantly discuss things when folks confuse what they want to do with what the law says they can/should do.

My perspective was the OP asked about the legal rights. My post above pretty much made that issue clear in point 1. Legally, at least in those countries subscribing in some way to the general copyright laws that exist, if the item is in copyright the owner of that copyright controls the work. Period. End of report. If the work is public domain and you can prove it you can do what you wish. There are lots of details left out of this summary, and it would never be sufficient in a court of law. But, it pretty much covers the legal aspects of the situation. Fair use in the US is essentially limited to educational situations is quite limited and has not been held to be a useful defense outside that realm as far as I know. I don't know about the UK or other places.

For what its worth I don't much care for the copyright situation. But that makes no difference. I'd never advise anyone else to knowing break those laws. Also for what it is worth I've asked many times for permission to use things (usually tunes). Once I was asked for a $4.00 contribution. In every other case the permission was granted free. It is much more comfortable knowing I'm free of legal hassles.

Edited by cboody