English Country Music Weekend 2011

A number of members of this website are occasional or regular attenders at the ECMW. Tickets are now on sale for this year's event which has a number of 'firsts'. It's the first time the weekend has come to the county of Essex, the first time we've been on the coast and the first time the event has its own website: www.ecmwbrightlingsea.com.

The website will be regularly updated and there are some interesting music files already there with more waiting in the wings, all of them unissued and including lots of Scan Tester!

We are confident that this is going to be an excellent weekend; hope to see some of you there!

Best wishes

Roger

I'm hoping to go. If I can find a way of getting there for £100 or less using only public transport I'll do two days...otherwise I'll only be able to do the Saturday (subject to nagging pursuading mum to drive me). ;)

Looking forward to going though. It will be my first time.

I'm hoping to go. If I can find a way of getting there for £100 or less using only public transport I'll do two days...otherwise I'll only be able to do the Saturday (subject to nagging pursuading mum to drive me). ;)

Abel Magwitch has offered to row me up from Saafend right into Brightlingsea Harbour and that is shorter than the 56m road route. He wants to celebrate the Dickens Anniversary. Spare seat going for 20 guineas return with 10 guineas discount if you play the Volga Boat Song en route.

There is free camping in the graveyard so 100 quid will easily cover everything including vittels, and you can hear the mist rolling in here

Abel Magwitch has offered to row me up from Saafend right into Brightlingsea Harbour and that is shorter than the 56m road route. He wants to celebrate the Dickens Anniversary. Spare seat going for 20 guineas return with 10 guineas discount if you play the Volga Boat Song en route.

There is free camping in the graveyard so 100 quid will easily cover everything including vittels, and you can hear the mist rolling in here

Magwitch says if the weather is bad then day return from Saafend is about 22.70 to Clacton and then bus fare to Bsea. Weekend return about 28 quid. Bit slow but plenty of time to play on the way and collect some busking money to cut your costs! Or there is a bus from Colchester but not clear if from some other intermediate stations (Alresford/ Wivenhoe..)

He says that info will cost you one guinea - however, half a pork pie,some bread and half a bottle of Chateau d'Yquem 1861 from the cellar of Lady de Temps would be acceptable in lieu of cash. (Povided it was from an area not contaminated by the spread of phylloxera) :blink: :blink:

http://www.vinfolio.com/thewinecollector/2006/12/1860-2003-vertical-of-yquem-sells-for.jsp

Trains

The nearest station to Brightlingsea is at Alresford, although a more regular service is available from Wivenhoe. Trains from here travel to London Liverpool Street via Colchester and Chelmsford. Trains also run from here to Clacton on Sea.

Buses

There is a regular bus service no. 78 between Brightlingsea and Colchester via Alresford and Wivenhoe every day.

A new bus service no. 79 between Brightlingsea and Clacton on Sea run by New Horizon Travel starts will start on 7th March, travelling via Thorrington, Great Bentley, Aingers Green, St Osyth and Bockings Elm. It is also possible to catch a bus to Clacton on Sea by taking the no. 78 Colchester bound bus from Brightlingsea and changing to the no. 76 service at Thorrington Cross.

http://brightlingseaharbour.org/public_transport.html

I am hoping to be in the UK during June July and would love to visit this festival - Country music is a passion of mine. It looks great and I am particularly interested in the "Essex musicians: Presentation by Phil Heath-Coleman" because I come from Essex originally. I emigrated to Australia several years ago.

Hope to meet up with some of you :)

country music

I am hoping to be in the UK during June July and would love to visit this festival - Country music is a passion of mine. It looks great and I am particularly interested in the "Essex musicians: Presentation by Phil Heath-Coleman" because I come from Essex originally. I emigrated to Australia several years ago.

country music

Hi Takenotice .... judging from the link you supplied it appears that what you are interested in is country music as in "Country and western music". If so, I wonder if you might possibly find the ECMW weekend a bit disappointing, as the music is of the (mostly) English traditional variety ... it's "Country" as in "coming from the English country" music (I suppose you could say). There is one video link of a few shots that I took in 2009 on the ECMW 2011 website (Chris has supplied the link to the site below) which might give you some idea. :)

country music

Hi Takenotice .... judging from the link you supplied it appears that what you are interested in is country music as in "Country and western music". If so, I wonder if you might possibly find the ECMW weekend a bit disappointing, as the music is of the (mostly) English traditional variety ... it's "Country" as in "coming from the English country" music (I suppose you could say). There is one video link of a few shots that I took in 2009 on the ECMW 2011 website (Chris has supplied the link to the site below) which might give you some idea. :)

Here are some more to add to Irene's comment- just the Sunday afternoon and part video/sound. If you enjoy these then there will be something somewhere for you.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_filter=0&suggested_categories=10&search_query=ecmw+insightandmind

• 2 weeks later...

B&B accommodation in the heart of Brightlingsea already booked. It's a nice little place and should make a good venue for the ECMW - we popped over there a couple of days ago as it's just down the road from Clacton where my parents lived. Only sad thing is it hasn't got an Eel & Pie shop. I had hoped ...

Cheers,

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

You won't be alone in the Premier, Mike!

There's also The Old Courthouse in Bromley just over 5 miles away (http://www.theoldcourthouseinn.co.uk/). They have 10 double rooms and offer a 'weekend special'.

Some people are opting for the picturesque location of Wivenhoe.

I'm pleased to report that tickets are selling well. Concertina enthusiasts seizing the rare opportunity to spend time with Mike Hebbert are in for a special treat.

There's currently a sound clip of Scan Tester (with Reg Hall and Bob Keightley) on the website!

Best wishes,

Roger

I'm booked into the premier inn...and sent off for ECMW tickets today.

For some reason even though I asked for single room...they've given my a 'family room'????? Oh well....room to spread out. lol

Edited by LDT

For some reason even though I asked for single room...they've given my a 'family room'????? Oh well....room to spread out. lol

Room for the instruments then, eh LDT? See you down there (subject to no further illnesses /ailments cropping up). ;)

Room for the instruments then, eh LDT? See you down there (subject to no further illnesses /ailments cropping up). ;)

bed for each instrument. ;)