Mr Beveridge's Maggot

RatFace

what actually defines a musical maggot?

Probably wrong but it was described to me as a tune that goes around in circles.

Oddly enough I've just come across another definition for a Maggot aka Earworm, a tune that gets into your head and won't go away. :ph34r:

Both those strike me as "definitions" made up by people who people who didn't really know. The first is certainly not an accurate description, and the second sounds like a whimsical description of how a tune (or tunes) named "maggot" affected the person describing them. So that second definition could itself be a maggot. :)

This from a dictionary:
Archaic
. an odd fancy; whim.

And I recall reading -- but right now I can't recall where -- that it comes from an Italian word (also beginning with "mag") with a similar meaning. Any Italian-speakers here know what word that would be? (As with the source of that "fact", I don't remember the Italian word.)

Hmm. I thought I remembered this question being asked before. Yep... here.

O, if only such arrangements made more sense to me than tadpoles hanging on a washing line.

Ian

Well this is precisely why it is worth putting the effort into learning. How would you get tadpoles to hang on a washing line anyway? I suppose you could impale them with pins.

Both those strike me as "definitions" made up by people who people who didn't really know. The first is certainly not an accurate description, and the second sounds like a whimsical description of how a tune (or tunes) named "maggot" affected the person describing them. So that second definition could itself be a maggot. :)

Sorry Jim, my posts were a bit tongue in cheek to be honest. I find the whole thing quite intriguing though. A fair number of 20th century tunes were entitled Xxxxxx's Fancy but the composer of the tune was never the person named in the title. Are we to assume that the tune was the composers' interpretation of that which would take the 'fancy' of the person in question? I cite Billy Pigg's "Archie's Fancy" (presumably named for Archie Dagg) and Will Atkinson's "Alistair Anderson's Fancy" (named after some geezer nobody ever heard of :P ) as examples.

Sorry Jim, my posts were a bit tongue in cheek to be honest.

But soon to become weblore? :o

I find the whole thing quite intriguing though. A fair number of 20th century tunes were entitled Xxxxxx's Fancy but the composer of the tune was never the person named in the title. Are we to assume that the tune was the composers' interpretation of that which would take the 'fancy' of the person in question?

Well, one of my own tune's is named "Pat's Fancy", since a friend heard it (before it had a name) and said she fancied it. :)

O, if only such arrangements made more sense to me than tadpoles hanging on a washing line.

Ian

Well this is precisely why it is worth putting the effort into learning. How would you get tadpoles to hang on a washing line anyway? I suppose you could impale them with pins.

I barely have the spare time to play and not enough for what for me would be a considerable task (I know because I've tried in vain before).

Ian